How to Register

Residents may register to vote at Dover City Hall for the next election up until the last meeting of the Supervisors of the Checklist to verify the voter checklist before an election. Residents may also register to vote on the day of the election at their designated polling place. See the City Clerk's interactive Ward Map to find out what Dover ward you live in and the ward's polling location. Absentee registration is also available in certain circumstances. No matter when or where one decides to register, a Voter Registration form must be completed.

There is no minimum time required to have lived in the state before being allowed to register. You may register as soon as you move into Dover.

To be eligible to register and vote in New Hampshire, a you must be:

  • 18 years of age or older on Election Day;
  • A United States citizen; and
  • Domiciled in the Dover ward where you seek to vote.

To register, you need to provide proof of your identity, age, citizenship, and domicile. This proof can be by presenting documents or signing an affidavit under oath in front of an election official.

Documents to prove identity, age, citizenship and domicile include:

  • A driver's license or non-driver ID from any state satisfies proof of identity and age.
  • A birth certificate, U.S. Passport/Passcard, or naturalization document satisfies proof of citizenship.

To register in person, visit the City Clerk's Office at City Hall during regular hours, Monday through Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., and Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Contact the City Clerk's Office at 516-6018 for more information. 


If you meet the state's requirements and qualifications and are unable to register in person because of physical disability, religious beliefs, military service, or because of temporary absence, you may register by mail. You should request an absentee voter registration affidavit and a standard voter registration form from the Dover City Clerk. You are registered to vote when the supervisors approve the application.

The signing of an absentee voter registration affidavit must be witnessed. Both the affidavit and the voter registration form must be returned to the Dover City Clerk.

For more information, contact the City Clerk's Office at 603-516-6018. You may also contact the Secretary of State's Election Division at 603-271-3242 or visit their webpage.

Changing Political Affiliation 

You may change your party affiliation with the Dover City Clerk or at any scheduled meeting of the Supervisors of the Checklist except the time between the first day of the filing period for a primary election and the date of the primary election itself. You will be required to choose a ballot from one of New Hampshire's officially recognized political parties when you vote.

When you vote on a party ballot in a state or presidential primary, you become a registered member of that party unless you fill out a card or sign a list to return to undeclared status with the Supervisors of the Checklist before leaving the polling place.

Voters may check their registered political affiliation with the Secretary of State's online tool by visiting