posted on: 11/27/2017; updated: 12/5/2017

The Whittier Street bridge over the Cocheco River is now open to traffic. Some additional sidewalk work and clean-up remains, but the bridge is accessible to all through-traffic.

The bridge has been closed since November 2016 when crews began the complete reconstruction of the bridge. The bridge had previously been on the state's "Red List" of ailing bridges.

The original bridge was constructed in 1962 and required significant repairs over the years. The reconstruction project required that the old bridge be removed and a new bridge constructed in its place. The new bridge is higher than the old bridge and will include sidewalks. 

Whittier Street Bridge now open

posted on: 11/27/2017; updated: 12/5/2017

The Whittier Street bridge over the Cocheco River is now open to traffic. Some additional sidewalk work and clean-up remains, but the bridge is accessible to all through-traffic.

The bridge has been closed since November 2016 when crews began the complete reconstruction of the bridge. The bridge had previously been on the state's "Red List" of ailing bridges.

The original bridge was constructed in 1962 and required significant repairs over the years. The reconstruction project required that the old bridge be removed and a new bridge constructed in its place. The new bridge is higher than the old bridge and will include sidewalks.

The City funded 20 percent of the $3.8 million project, with the remaining 80 percent paid for with state and federal funds.

For more information, contact Community Services at 516-6450.