Marriage Licenses

How to Apply for a Marriage License

If you are in-state or an out-of-state resident getting married in New Hampshire, you can go to any city or town clerk's office in the state to apply.

You must show a picture ID.

If either person has been married before, they must present a:

  • certified copy of the divorce decree; 
  • certified copy of annulment, or; 
  • certified copy of the Death Certificate. 

The Filing Fee is $50.00 payable at the time you apply for the license and the application is filled out in the City Clerk's Office. Both parties must be present and have all of the required information. The marriage license will be processed while you wait. The whole process usually takes about 30 minutes, and we require that you come in no later than 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and no later than 3:00 p.m. on Friday.

New Hampshire law does not require any waiting period or any witnesses to your marriage ceremony.  Once issued, your license is valid for 90 days.

For additional information please call us at 603-516-6018.