The Dover Public Library website offers public access to a wide range of information, including historical materials that are products of their particular times, and may contain values, language or stereotypes that would now be deemed insensitive, inappropriate or factually inaccurate. However, these records reflect the shared attitudes and values of the community from which they were collected and thus constitute an important social record.

The materials contained in the collection do not represent the opinions of the City of Dover, or the Dover Public Library.

St. Joseph Parocial School class, undated

class St Joseph Parochial School undated.jpg
Left to right:
Standing- Patrick Hanratty, Owen Carroll, Charles Chick, Frederick Loughlin
Sitting- John McShea, Thomas Cash, Brother Ammidy, Charles Lasky, Walter McDonough

Construction of the new three story Joseph School for Boys began June 15, 1888.The Central Avenue property purchased by Father Daniel Murphy in 1885 included an old house that served as a temporary residence the the Christian Brothers, who would begin teaching at the new school in the fall. The St. Joseph's School for Boys was sold after St. Mary Academy opened in 1913. The St. Charles parking lot is now situated on the site where the school stood.

From The Illustrated Historical Souvenir of Catholic Institutions, c.1901.
St. Joseph's School, under the instruction of four Christian Brothers (Brother Cyril, superior), has 250 boys and girls on its rolls, besides accommodating the younger girls who live in the north-western part of the city, and who are taught by two Sisters of Mercy. the primary and grammar grades (nine in all) are conducted on the lines which have given the Christian Brothers a well won eminence as teachers of youth, the high school course embraces, in the first year, Christian doctrine, English gramma, prefixes and suffixes, history and advanced geography. In the second year, geometry algebra, phonography, bookkeeping (single entry), history, English composition, and advanced arithmetic, are taken up; while the third year is given over to algebra, geometry, Latin, phonography, history, and bookkeeping (single and double entry). That the school maintains a high standard, goes without saying; and in the classes of drawing (both freehand and mechanical) the results are especially to be commended.  The school and the Brothers' house are on a splendid lot, the former building being well arranged, containing six classrooms, and showing a brick basement and an open cupola.

St Joseph School for Boys

From The Illustrated Historical Souvenir of Catholic Institutions, c.1901

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.