The Dover Public Library website offers public access to a wide range of information, including historical materials that are products of their particular times, and may contain values, language or stereotypes that would now be deemed insensitive, inappropriate or factually inaccurate. However, these records reflect the shared attitudes and values of the community from which they were collected and thus constitute an important social record.

The materials contained in the collection do not represent the opinions of the City of Dover, or the Dover Public Library.

franklin Square/Upper Square

Franklin Square.jpg

The 1827 map of Dover designates the junction of Main Street and Central Street as Franklin Square. Over the years, the area became known as Upper Square, but in 1981, after the square was revitalized and refurbished, it was rechristened Franklin Square. The granite fountain and horse trough, a gift to the city circa 1914 by the heirs of Joseph Morrill, was reconditioned and reinstalled.

Many events have taken place in the Square. Two of the most notable were the receptions for two U.S. Presidents: Teddy Roosevelt in 1902 and William Howard Taft in 1912.

Franklin Square

circa 1905

Franklin SquareFranklin Square

Franklin Square Upper Square

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.