The Dover Public Library website offers public access to a wide range of information, including historical materials that are products of their particular times, and may contain values, language or stereotypes that would now be deemed insensitive, inappropriate or factually inaccurate. However, these records reflect the shared attitudes and values of the community from which they were collected and thus constitute an important social record.

The materials contained in the collection do not represent the opinions of the City of Dover, or the Dover Public Library.

B & M Railroad Arch Postcards

railroad arch

Located on Washington Street, the first arch was designed for a single track. In 1899 it was torn down and rebuilt for a double track.
By 1910, 60 trains a day stopped in Dover.

railroad arch

Postcards donated by Robert Marston

railroad arch

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.