The Dover Public Library website offers public access to a wide range of information, including historical materials that are products of their particular times, and may contain values, language or stereotypes that would now be deemed insensitive, inappropriate or factually inaccurate. However, these records reflect the shared attitudes and values of the community from which they were collected and thus constitute an important social record.

The materials contained in the collection do not represent the opinions of the City of Dover, or the Dover Public Library.

Sherman School

Sherman School
Undated photograph

The Landing School was replaced in 1828 by a two-story brick structure. In 1883, the school was renamed the Sherman School in honor Enoch S. Sherman who became its headmaster in 1837. Under Master Sherman's leadership, this school became one of the best in the state. In addition to the usual school subjects, Sherman taught surveying, algebra, astronomy philosophy, bookkeeping, and chemistry. His salary was $35 a month. The Sherman School was damaged irreparably in the Hurricane of 1938 and had to be taken down.
    From the 1994 Heritage Walking Tour booklet

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.