The Dover Public Library website offers public access to a wide range of information, including historical materials that are products of their particular times, and may contain values, language or stereotypes that would now be deemed insensitive, inappropriate or factually inaccurate. However, these records reflect the shared attitudes and values of the community from which they were collected and thus constitute an important social record.

The materials contained in the collection do not represent the opinions of the City of Dover, or the Dover Public Library.

SAwyer School 1870-1879

Sawyer School.jpg

 The Sawyer Grammar School, with eight classrooms and room for 192 pupils, was named for the Honorable Thomas E. Sawyer of the Board of Education "who has been intimately connected with the Dover school system for nearly half a century." A major fire in 1890 destroyed much of the school, but it was rebuilt essentially as before. Disaster struck again, however, on June 30, 1979 when overheated basement wiring caught fire. This time the damage, estimated at $850,000, was irreparable.  Just seven years before, in 1972, $140,000 had been spent on renovations to the building, including new wiring.

The school's wood interior was gutted and the flames had burned through the roof. It was sold November, 1979 to Michael Spinelli Jr. for $21,000. The top floor was removed to better blend in with the neighborhood and the 11 unit Sawyer School Apartments opened in September 1980.
    from the 1993 Heritage Walking Tour booklet.

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.