The Dover Public Library website offers public access to a wide range of information, including historical materials that are products of their particular times, and may contain values, language or stereotypes that would now be deemed insensitive, inappropriate or factually inaccurate. However, these records reflect the shared attitudes and values of the community from which they were collected and thus constitute an important social record.

The materials contained in the collection do not represent the opinions of the City of Dover, or the Dover Public Library.

Ham Varney House

Ham Varney house.jpg

In 1696, Ebenezer Varney, a blacksmith and devout Quaker, built his home at the foot of the west side of the Great Hill (now known as Garrison Hill). Varney was a great friend and benefactor of the local Indians, and his home and his family were never in any danger during the Indian turmoils that plagued Dover in the 1700s. The hill eventually became known as Varney's Hill during the eighteenth century. In 1829, John Ham purchased Varney's property and by 1834, the name had changed to Garrison Hill. The Varney-Ham house remained in the Ham family until about 1920 when it was sold to Philip Daum. The house was taken down circa 1970 when the large apartment complexes in that area were constructed.
    From the 1986 Heritage Walking Tour Booklet.

Verney Ham House 6.jpg
Central Avenue on the right, at the foot of Garrison Hill. The chimney is the oldest one left in Dover.

                             Varney Ham house 4.jpg   

                           Varney Ham house.jpg              

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.