The Dover Public Library website offers public access to a wide range of information, including historical materials that are products of their particular times, and may contain values, language or stereotypes that would now be deemed insensitive, inappropriate or factually inaccurate. However, these records reflect the shared attitudes and values of the community from which they were collected and thus constitute an important social record.

The materials contained in the collection do not represent the opinions of the City of Dover, or the Dover Public Library.

John Mann House

65 Silver Street.jpg

65 Silver St

65 Silver St

65 Silver Street

This brick house was built in 1812 for John Mann who published "The Dover Sun" newspaper. It was the first of the country federal style houses in Dover. The builder was James Whitehouse, and the design was copied in many other Dover houses. The front room of the house was wainscoted under recessed windows, the doors have the Christian Cross pattern. It had six fireplaces and a dutch oven in the kitchen. The "widow's walk" cupola is a later addition. Dr. Low, father of Sarah Low, Civil War nurse, lived here for 15 years. A later resident, Miss Caroline Garland, served the Dover Public Library for 50 years.
        From the 1980 Heritage Walk Tour booklet.

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.