The Dover Public Library website offers public access to a wide range of information, including historical materials that are products of their particular times, and may contain values, language or stereotypes that would now be deemed insensitive, inappropriate or factually inaccurate. However, these records reflect the shared attitudes and values of the community from which they were collected and thus constitute an important social record.

The materials contained in the collection do not represent the opinions of the City of Dover, or the Dover Public Library.

Dorr-Cilley House

35 Summer St

35 Summer St

35 Summer Street

This house was built circa 1880 and owned by carpenter Charles C. Dorr. Dorr was an assessor and building inspector for the City of Dover until about 1910 when he retired. After his death in 1921, his wife Elizabeth remained here until 1924. The following year, the home passed to Dorr’s grandson, Horace L. Cilley.

    From the 1987 Heritage Walking Tour booklet

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.