The Dover Public Library website offers public access to a wide range of information, including historical materials that are products of their particular times, and may contain values, language or stereotypes that would now be deemed insensitive, inappropriate or factually inaccurate. However, these records reflect the shared attitudes and values of the community from which they were collected and thus constitute an important social record.

The materials contained in the collection do not represent the opinions of the City of Dover, or the Dover Public Library.

46 Atkinson Street

46 Atkinson St m1085

 In 1846, William Edgerly purchased this lot from Tredick and Wadleigh. By 1854 this home was built and the property sold to William Johnson. In 1859, jeweler Charles Bacon bought the house for $2100. Bacon had opened his store at 388 Central Avenue in 1857 and advertised “the most attractive establishment of this kind in Dover…engraving neatly executed… intricate jobs performed satisfactorily in a thoroughly workmanlike manner at exceedingly moderate prices.” Bacon sold this house in 1888 to Elisha Rhodes Brown and there have been only three owners since that time.
    From the 1991 Heritage Walking Tour Booklet

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.