The Dover Public Library website offers public access to a wide range of information, including historical materials that are products of their particular times, and may contain values, language or stereotypes that would now be deemed insensitive, inappropriate or factually inaccurate. However, these records reflect the shared attitudes and values of the community from which they were collected and thus constitute an important social record.

The materials contained in the collection do not represent the opinions of the City of Dover, or the Dover Public Library.

Charles W. Sawyer G.A.R. Marching

Charles W. Sawyer Post G.A.R.

The Dover post of the Grand Army of the Republic marching in 1893. The location is believed to be Beacon Hill.

May 17, 1869
The C.W. Sawyer Post GAR was founded by ten men who met at Merrill’s Hall. The ten men were: C.H. Adams, Jr., J.T.S. Libbey, William H. Trickey, M.C. Lothrop, George E. Foot, James A. Thompson, Frank Valley, George W. Littlefield, C.F. Spurlin, and Robert H. Mathes. The post was named for Major Charles W. Sawyer who died from wounds received at the battle of Drury’s Bluff on May 16, 1864. J.T.S. Libbey was the first commander.

They disbanded January 3, 1930. The recent death of the Commander, Flavius Wentworth, left only four members of the organization. All articles of a historic nature were turned over to the Woodman Institute.
        From Dover, N.H.; People, businesses, and organizations 1850-1950 by Robert Marston, 2004.

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.