The Dover Public Library website offers public access to a wide range of information, including historical materials that are products of their particular times, and may contain values, language or stereotypes that would now be deemed insensitive, inappropriate or factually inaccurate. However, these records reflect the shared attitudes and values of the community from which they were collected and thus constitute an important social record.

The materials contained in the collection do not represent the opinions of the City of Dover, or the Dover Public Library.

The Court House

courthouse.jpgCentral Avenue

The Court house was built in 1791 on the site of the existing Mobil Gas Station. In 1792 Dover was the capitol of New Hampshire for one year and the legislature met here in June. The building was sold for tenements in 1845 and later removed. The building to the left of the Court House is Bellevue Hall, an opera house.

Court house

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.