The Dover Public Library website offers public access to a wide range of information, including historical materials that are products of their particular times, and may contain values, language or stereotypes that would now be deemed insensitive, inappropriate or factually inaccurate. However, these records reflect the shared attitudes and values of the community from which they were collected and thus constitute an important social record.

The materials contained in the collection do not represent the opinions of the City of Dover, or the Dover Public Library.

Fire Station


In 1899 the city purchased a lot on Broadway previously owned by the Freewill Baptist Church. By 1905 this station had one steam engine, one hook-and-ladder, and one hose wagon. The original Free will Baptist chapel was purchased by Charles Chesley, who moved it across the street on the present site of Whitehouse Opticians.
    From the 1983 Heritage Walking Tour booklet

fire station

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.