The Dover Public Library website offers public access to a wide range of information, including historical materials that are products of their particular times, and may contain values, language or stereotypes that would now be deemed insensitive, inappropriate or factually inaccurate. However, these records reflect the shared attitudes and values of the community from which they were collected and thus constitute an important social record.

The materials contained in the collection do not represent the opinions of the City of Dover, or the Dover Public Library.

City Hall Opera House

City Hall third

The third City Hall was built in 1891 and burned August 3, 1933. The first two city halls also burned. They were located at the corner of Washington Street and Central Avenue where the Masonic Temple now stands.

city hall opera house

The third city hall was located at 288 Central Avenue, as is the fourth (present) city hall.

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.