skip to main navigation
skip to main content

Dover Library Home

Dover Public Library Logo

QuickButton.gif

Hale School

Hale School.jpg



The Hale School was named in honor of John P. Hale. City Council records of 1872  state "During the past year the Locust Street school has been added to the number of our school buildings." " It is a brick building of four rooms, 30 by 25 feet, 13 feet stories. With sittings for 175 scholars. It is pleasantly situated on Locust Street, south of Silver Street. It is substantially built and furnished, and will answer the demands in that part of the city for many years to come." First teachers of this new school were:
grade 1- Nellie E. Littlefield
grades 2 and 3- Abbie E. Jenness
grade 4- Emiline Thompson
grade 5- Sophromia A. Smith

Hale School 2.jpg

 

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.