skip to main navigation
skip to main content

Dover Library Home

Dover Public Library Logo

QuickButton.gif

Belknap School 1856-1953

Belknap School 4.jpg


The Belknap Grammar Schoolhouse, which stands at the junction of Silver and Belknap Streets, was built in 1856. The building had four rooms, and could accommodate 200 pupils. It stands on the spot where the house stood in which Rev. Dr. Jeremy Belknap lived, and wrote his history of New Hampshire. It existed as a school building for almost a hundred years. In 1953 Woodman Park School opened and the Belknap School was sold, renovated and is now used for medical offices.

 

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.