skip to main navigation
skip to main content

Dover Library Home

Dover Public Library Logo

QuickButton.gif

44 Cushing Street

44 Cushing St.jpg

This was the Gibbs family homestead for a number of years. Oliver Azro Gibbs Sr., a veterinary surgeon, was here as early as 1882. Gibbs died here in 1893 and his sons O.A. Jr., Maurice, and Fred lived here.  O.A. Jr. was president of the O.A. Gibbs Shoe Company on Grove Street and Maurice was the secretary. Fred was a dentist, first in Somersworth, then in Dover’s Masonic Temple. Mrs. Florence Dame inherited the house and lived here briefly before selling it. The barn was renovated to make two apartments and became #48 about 1952.
    From the 1990 Heritage Walking Tour booklet

 

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.