skip to main navigation
skip to main content

Dover Library Home

Dover Public Library Logo

QuickButton.gif

40 Cushing Street

40 Cushing St.jpg

W.H. Vickery, proprietor of an apothecary shop, bought this lot in 1870 and built this home soon after. John Kivel bought the house in 1893. He was a lawyer and a notary public and also a Superior court judge. His daughter Alice, a legal secretary, lived here until 1950. Ambrose Breen, Dover’s mayor—1973, lived her for a few years around 1960.
    From the 1990 Heritage Walking Tour booklet

 

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.