Woodbury Brothers Shoe Factory

skip to main navigation
skip to main content

Dover Library Home

Dover Public Library Logo

QuickButton.gif

 

Disclaimer

The Dover Public Library website offers public access to a wide range of information, including historical materials that are products of their particular times, and may contain values, language or stereotypes that would now be deemed insensitive, inappropriate or factually inaccurate. However, these records reflect the shared attitudes and values of the community from which they were collected and thus constitute an important social record.

The materials contained in the collection do not represent the opinions of the City of Dover, or the Dover Public Library.

 

Woodbury Brothers Shoe Factory

Woodbury Shoe
R.H. & H.O. Woodbury Shoe Manufacturers was built in 1885.

Woodbury Brothers, wholesale manufacturers of Buskins and Slippers, and Women's and Misses" Boots and Shoes, Boston Office: 31 Lincoln Street. Factories: Beverly, Mass., and Cor. Park and Dover Street, Dover, N.H.- Shoe manufacturing is steadily increasing in New Hampshire, and present indications are that it will increase still more rapidly in the future, for manufacturers find that operations can be carried on in this State to excellent advantage, and it is becoming common for the leading Massachusetts concerns to establish branch factories here. The establishment conducted by Messrs. Woodbury Brothers can hardly be called a "branch," however, for the firm manufacture all their women's and misses' boots and shoes at this factory, the one in Beverly, Mass., being utilized for the production of buskins and slippers. Messrs. Woodbury Brothers rank with the leading boot and shoe houses of New England, their goods being very widely known among consumers and the trade. They have carried on operations in Beverly for about a score of years, and opened their Dover factory in 1886. This is located in a five story building, 236 x 40 feet in dimensions, situated on the corner of Park and Dover Streets. The plant of machinery in use is of the most improved type, and the power is furnished by a seventy five horse engine; the capacity of the establishment being 2,400 pair per day. Employment is given to 250 persons, and operations are carried on under the direct supervision of Mr. J.T. Woodbury. No trouble is spared to maintain the high reputation of the product, and as the firm are in a position to quote the lowest market rates they find no difficulty in disposing of the output.
    From The leading Business Men of Dover, Rochester, Farmington, Great Falls and Berwick by George F Bacon, published by Boston Mercantile Publishing Company,1890.

 

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.