Guppy House

skip to main navigation
skip to main content

Dover Library Home

Dover Public Library Logo

QuickButton.gif

 

Disclaimer

The Dover Public Library website offers public access to a wide range of information, including historical materials that are products of their particular times, and may contain values, language or stereotypes that would now be deemed insensitive, inappropriate or factually inaccurate. However, these records reflect the shared attitudes and values of the community from which they were collected and thus constitute an important social record.

The materials contained in the collection do not represent the opinions of the City of Dover, or the Dover Public Library.

 

Guppy House

Guppy House.jpg

John Guppy was born in Portsmouth on July 13, 1768. When he was less than one year old his father bought the house at the corner of Portland and Oak Streets from Captain Heard. The house was built in 1690, and became known as the Guppy House. His youngest son, Jeremy Belknap Guppy, was a farmer and lived all his life in the Guppy House. He never married and died on March 16, 1917 at age 85. He left the house and land to the city of Dover. The land became the site of the Guppy park.

                                                                                                                      GuppyHouse3.jpg                                                                            Guppy House 2.jpg      

 

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.