skip to main navigation
skip to main content

Dover Library Home

Dover Public Library Logo


Dover's Second City Hall

city hall burned1889.jpg

The first city hall was built in 1842 and burned November 23, 1866. It was located at the corner of Washington Street and Central Avenue where the Masonic Temple now stands. The second City hall was also located here. It was built in 1868 and burned March 22, 1889.

City Hall second 2.jpg

City Hall burned 1889 2.jpg

Ruins of the second City Hall

The present City Hall is the fourth city hall.


This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.