American House Postcards

skip to main navigation
skip to main content

Dover Library Home

Dover Public Library Logo

QuickButton.gif

 

Disclaimer

The Dover Public Library website offers public access to a wide range of information, including historical materials that are products of their particular times, and may contain values, language or stereotypes that would now be deemed insensitive, inappropriate or factually inaccurate. However, these records reflect the shared attitudes and values of the community from which they were collected and thus constitute an important social record.

The materials contained in the collection do not represent the opinions of the City of Dover, or the Dover Public Library.

 

American House Postcards

American House
Donated by Robert Marston
 
American House


 The Century -old 50 room American House on Franklin Square, which employed 30 persons in its heyday was opened in 1853, the Hotel looked very much as it does today, with the exception that it then sported a gable roof instead of the present flat one.

 Around the turn of the century a fire is said to have destroyed the third story of the structure, but it was subsequently repaired and a story added. Records seem to show the Eagle Hotel once stood on the site of the present American House. This hostelry had a hiistoric and interesting past.

A sprawling barn at the rear of the hotel was a stable, and horse-drawn rigs were rented by gentlemen who took fashionable ladies for pleasant rides on sunny, summer afternoons.

The American House served as a weekly meeting place for social and fraternal organizations such as the Rotary Club, the Lions, Kiwanis, and Exchange Club.

 U.S. Presidents have spoken from its porch, and it has lodged Senator Robert Taft of Ohio, Henry Cabot Lodge, Senator Joseph McCarthy of Wisconsin, and his aide, Roy Cohn.

 Its white Doric columns have witnesses the parades, the tragic events, the summers and winters of the people of Dover since its erection in 1853.

 In 1900, the rates at the hotel were $2.00 and $2.50. At that time the hostel possessed two annexes.

 An advertisement in an illustrated Souvenir published for the annual meeting of the State Grange in December, 1900, describes the hotel as having "electric bells, and steam heat," with a "fine billiard hall." "The leading, best equipped and finest located hotel in Dover."

From Historic Rambles about Dover by Robert A. Whitehouse c1999

American House

 

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.