Whitcher's Falls Bridge

skip to main navigation
skip to main content

Dover Library Home

Dover Public Library Logo

QuickButton.gif

 

Disclaimer

The Dover Public Library website offers public access to a wide range of information, including historical materials that are products of their particular times, and may contain values, language or stereotypes that would now be deemed insensitive, inappropriate or factually inaccurate. However, these records reflect the shared attitudes and values of the community from which they were collected and thus constitute an important social record.

The materials contained in the collection do not represent the opinions of the City of Dover, or the Dover Public Library.

 

Whitcher's Falls Bridge

Witchers Falls
Donated by Robert Marston

The second falls of the Cochecho River (six falls in all) was known as Whitcher's Falls or Whittier's Falls Whittier's mills, consisting of a fulling mill, grist mill, and a building for dressing cloth, once stood at the easterly side of the Tolend Falls. Their name was derived from Obadiah Whittier, whose widow still owned them, January 7, 1718, when they were destroyed by fire, which broke out in the carding mill, operated by Moses Whittier, son of Obidiah, who at once erected new Machinery and resumed the carding, fulling, and clothing business, the following month.
    From Mary P. Thompson's Landmarks in Ancient Dover.

Witchers Falls

Whitchers Falls bridgee.jpg

Witchers Falls

 

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.