skip to main navigation
skip to main content

Dover Library Home

Dover Public Library Logo

QuickButton.gif

Sherman School Class 1945


class sherman 1945.jpg
Sixth Grade, Christine M Sweeney, teacher.

The Landing School was replaced in 1828 by a two-story brick structure. In 1883, the school was renamed the Sherman School in honor Enoch S. Sherman who became its headmaster in 1837. Under Master Sherman's leadership, this school became one of the best in the state. In addition to the usual school subjects, Sherman taught surveying, algebra, astronomy philosophy, bookkeeping, and chemistry. His salary was $35 a month. The Sherman School was damaged irreparably in the Hurricane of 1938 and had to be taken down.
    From the 1994 Heritage Walking Tour booklet

 

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.