skip to main navigation
skip to main content

Dover Library Home

Dover Public Library Logo

QuickButton.gif

Pine Hill School

 Pine Hill Schoole.jpg

 

Immediately to the left of the cemetery entrance is the site of three Pine Hill Schoolhouses, the first a small wooden structure built in 1712. This was replaced by a two room wood frame school in 1790. A brick school, housing half primary and half secondary students, replaced the wooden building in 1824. Many generations of Dover students attended classes here, yet by 1904 only 40 students, one 5th grade and one 6th grade class, were housed here.

 Additionally, the building was used as a Ward House at elections times for about 35 years. This was disruptive to the pupils and teachers and in 1905 its use as a school stopped.

The building was abandoned and eventually condemned. It was transferred to the Cemetery Department in 1912. Workers there demolished it and extended the granite wall on Central Avenue northerly the entire length of the newly acquired property.
    From the 1992 Heritage Walking Tour booklet

 

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.