skip to main navigation
skip to main content

Dover Library Home

Dover Public Library Logo

QuickButton.gif

Franklin Square/Upper Square Postcards

Franklin Square 5.jpg

Franklin Square 3.jpg

The 1827 map of Dover designates the junction of Main Street and Central Street as Franklin Square. Over the years, the area became known as Upper Square, but in 1981, after the square was revitalized and refurbished, it was rechristened Franklin Square. The granite fountain and horse trough, a gift to the city circa 1914 by the heirs of Joseph Morrill, was reconditioned and reinstalled.

Many events have taken place in the Square. Two of the most notable were the receptions for two U.S. Presidents: Teddy Roosevelt in 1902 and William Howard Taft in 1912.
    From the 1984 Heritage Walking Tour Booklet.

Postcards donated by Robert Marston

 

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.