skip to main navigation
skip to main content

Dover Library Home

Dover Public Library Logo

QuickButton.gif

Dover Improvement Association Shoe Factory

  Improvement Association Shoe Factory 2.jpg

 

improvement association shoe factory 3.jpg

 



In 1886, the Dover Improvement Association built a four story wooden structure 150’ x 45’ at the corner of Sixth and Grove Streets (50-60 Sixth Street) for Lewis W. Nute. Nute died in 1888 and the shop was rented to the Charles H. Moulton Shoe Company. They employed 200 and stayed there until circa 1903. From 1905 to 1912, the firm of Luddy & Currier had their shoe manufacturing operation here and in 1909 they were joined by the Beckwith Box Toe Company who occupied the main section of the building. In 1913, the Farmington shoe company moved into the building on the west side of the property (the part still standing) and stayed there until World War II. Beckwith was here until the 1950s, then the Weiss-Lawrence Shoe Company was the last, closing down in 1974. After neighbors voiced concerns that the now empty factory was a fire hazard, the main portion was torn down.
    1993 Heritage Walking Tour booklet

 

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.