skip to main navigation
skip to main content

Dover Library Home

Dover Public Library Logo

QuickButton.gif

Wheeler Lane House

Wheeler house 2.jpg
189 Central Avenue


 This Colonial home, originally designed with four rooms upstairs, four rooms down, and symmetrical chimneys, was built circa 1790 by James Remick. In 1827, it was the home of the Hon. John Wheeler (1770- 1840), president of the Strafford Bank. Wheeler’s widow Elizabeth sold the house about 1850 to Edmund J. Lane (1802- 1884), books and staionery dealer and deacon of the First Parish Church. Lane had first married Elizabeth Barker (1798- 1838) and had a son, Edmund, then married Marthat J. G. Barker (1812-1870) and had four more children. Lane moved the house several feet and had it thoroughly repaired. He lived her until his death and his son Edmund B. (1837-1924) and his daughter Anna (1870-1932) owned the house thereafter. The house now contains three apartments.
    From the 1987 Heritage Walking Tour Booklet

 

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.