skip to main navigation
skip to main content

Dover Library Home

Dover Public Library Logo

QuickButton.gif

Tidewater Farm

Tidewater farm.jpg


Cochecho Street was originally called Flagg Road, named in 1821 for Captain William Flagg (1770-1844), another Dover deep water sea captain. Flagg built his brick mansion, Tidewater Farm, along the banks of the river circa 1815 and insisted that this road be laid out so that he could have a shorter route home. As he was Dover’s wealthiest citizen at the time, his wishes were quickly heeded. In 1830, the street was renamed Cochecho.        
        From the 1994 Heritage Walking Tour

 

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.