skip to main navigation
skip to main content

Dover Library Home

Dover Public Library Logo

QuickButton.gif

Ham Varney House

Ham Varney house.jpg


In 1696, Ebenezer Varney, a blacksmith and devout Quaker, built his home at the foot of the west side of the Great Hill (now known as Garrison Hill). Varney was a great friend and benefactor of the local Indians, and his home and his family were never in any danger during the Indian turmoils that plagued Dover in the 1700s. The hill eventually became known as Varney's Hill during the eighteenth century. In 1829, John Ham purchased Varney's property and by 1834, the name had changed to Garrison Hill. The Varney-Ham house remained in the Ham family until about 1920 when it was sold to Philip Daum. The house was taken down circa 1970 when the large apartment complexes in that area were constructed.
    From the 1986 Heritage Walking Tour Booklet.



Verney Ham House 6.jpg
Central Avenue on the right, at the foot of Garrison Hill. The chimney is the oldest one left in Dover.


                             Varney Ham house 4.jpg   

                           Varney Ham house.jpg              

 

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.