skip to main navigation
skip to main content

Dover Library Home

Dover Public Library Logo

QuickButton.gif

School Street

School Street.jpg


School Street was named for the 1810 one-story wooden schoolhouse that was located here. It was originally known as the Landing School and sat on the south side of the street where today the walking path starts down the hill. The street was a traffic thoroughfare connected to Cocheco Street until 1989 when the path was substituted.

 The Landing School was renamed the Sherman School in honor of Enoch S. Sherman who became its headmaster in 1837. Under Master Sherman’s leadership, this school became one of the best in the state. In addition to the usual school subjects, Sherman taught surveying, algebra, astronomy, philosophy, bookkeeping, and chemistry. His salary was $35 a month. The Sherman School was damaged irreparably in the Hurricane of 1938 and had to be taken down.
        From the 1994 Heritage Walking Tour Booklet

 

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.