skip to main navigation
skip to main content

Dover Library Home

Dover Public Library Logo

QuickButton.gif

Perkins Coogan House


134 Central Ave.jpg
132-134 Central Avenue



    In 1827, the home on this site (circa 1810) was occupied by Widow Nancy Perkins (1785-1862), wife of the late William Perkins (1770-1827). The Perkins family, in the early nineteenth century, owned a lot of land in this area between Tuttle Square and the Durham Road. Mrs. Perkins died at age 77, in 1862, and 18 years later, in 1880, the property was owned by Michael Coogan. Michael, and eventually his son Owen, were proprietors or the Cocheco Beef Company at 487 Central Avenue. Owen later moved a block north, but Michael was here until 1909, Sadie Coogan until 1924, and his daughter Sarah (1878-1933 until her death.
        From the 1987 Heritage Walking Tour Booklet

 

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.