skip to main navigation
skip to main content

Dover Library Home

Dover Public Library Logo

QuickButton.gif

Osborne Cartland House

Osborne Cartland house 3.jpg

 

151 Central Avenue


Osborne Cartland house.jpg


Adjacent to the Friends Meeting House, this Georgian Colonial style home was built circa 1780 by Quaker Marble Osborne (1752 – 1826). His sons, William and Daniel, operated an iron foundry south of the village and were probably the designers of the cast iron fence on the property. William died in 1839, but Daniel (1794-1871), who later became president of the Strafford Bank, continued to live her with his second wife, Caroline Cartland (1804-1843).

After Daniel’s death in 1871, the house was inherited by Caroline’s brother Moses’ two children: Caroline Cartland Shackford (1847-1897) who had married attorney Charles B. Shackford, and Charles S. Cartland (1851-1938) who was married to the former Julia W. Wallingford. Shackford was then teller and later president of the Strafford Bank, and Julia was the daughter of Zimri S. Wallingford, agent for the Cocheco Mills. The home remained in the Shackford and Cartland families until 1948 when Charles’ daughter, Lucia H. Cartland Hough (1890-1973) moved to Barrington. For the next three decades, the house was owned by Arthur and Pauline Cornellier, and presently contains an office and apartments.
    From the 1987 Heritage Walk Tour Booklet             .

 

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.