skip to main navigation
skip to main content

Dover Library Home

Dover Public Library Logo

QuickButton.gif

Moses Paul House

Moses Paul house.jpg

114 Locust Street



This house was built for Mr. Paul who became agent of the Cocheco Manufacturing Company in 1843. He was an ardent Free Mason whose life was one of continuous progress and accomplishment. His Masonic activities mark him as one of its outstanding leaders. Moses Paul Lodge, organized  in 1889, was named after him. The house was sold to Bennis Foss, Jr. around 1870. Mr. Foss bought a flax mill at Dover Landing which became a lumber mill. His son, Alonzo Foss, (mayor in 1893-95), added the trimmings and the bay windows which are believed to be the first ones in Dover. Many houses were similarly modified during the Victorian era.
    From the 1980 Heritage Walking Tour booklet.

 

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.