skip to main navigation
skip to main content

Dover Library Home

Dover Public Library Logo

QuickButton.gif

141 Silver Street

141 Silver St.jpg



In 1865 John Laskey bought 4 acres at the corner of Silver and Coffin Streets including a 9 room house (now 137 Silver Street) from the Towle family, Two years later Mr. Laskey sold the property to Luther Burlingame, the publisher of the Morning Star newspaper, who lived here for about 12 years and then sold the property to Levi Elder. Mr. Elder, a stone cutter, lived here until his death in 1887, and his widow Mary lived here for and additional 20 years,

 In 1904 Mary Elder sold a lot on the corner to Edwin L. Burnham who built the house that is now 141 & 143 Silver Street. The Burnham family lived here until 1950 when Edith Burnham, the daughter of Edwin, sold the property to Burns, Inc. and it became rental property until Molly O’Gara bought the house in 1964 and lived here for about 10 years.
        From the 1999 Heritage Walking Tour booklet

 

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.