skip to main navigation
skip to main content

Dover Library Home

Dover Public Library Logo

QuickButton.gif

14 Richmond Street

14 Richmond St.jpg


In 1902 the Washington Freewill Baptist Society (forerunner of the Dover Baptist church) bought this lot from Charles Faxon for $1200. In 1905 they contracted with C.W. Langley to build this single dwelling for $2784. Reverend Amos E. Wilson moved in the next year and it was the Baptist Parsonage until 1977. Evidently the pastors living there spread the Baptist doctrine because in 1923, for example, there were six families on Richmond Street and seven families on West Concord Street associated with the church.
        From the 1999 Heritage Walking Tour Booklet

 

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.