skip to main navigation
skip to main content

Dover Library Home

Dover Public Library Logo

QuickButton.gif

120 Silver Street

120 Silver st.jpg



In 1889, Almanzo Towle sold this parcel of land to Thomas H. and Mary Dearborn and the home was built soon after. Dearborn (1860 – 1932) had owned a dry goods and department store in Dover since 1884. In 1909, he was also head of the N.H. Gipsey Moth Commission and by 1917, owner of The Fashion, a ladies garment store at 832 Central Ave. For the last eight years of his life he served at Dover’s postmaster.

S. Judson Dunaway, owner of Expello Corp. and Dover philanthropist, bought the house in 1946 from Mary Dearborn.
    From the 1999 Heritage Walking Tour booklet

 

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.