skip to main navigation
skip to main content

Dover Library Home

Dover Public Library Logo

QuickButton.gif

Ezra Green House

Ezra Green house 3.jpg
37 Silver Street

 

This house was the site of Dover’s first Post Office. Dr. Green came to Dover in 1768 and lived in this house. He was Dover’s first Postmaster and dispatched mail from here to the White Mountains and all over Southern New Hampshire. He later served as a surgeon under John Paul Jones on the frigate “Ranger”. In 1779 he came back to Dover and married Sussanah Hayes and built a home for his bride at 79 Silver Street where he died at age 101, 1 month and 10 days.
    From the 1979 Heritage Walk Tour Booklet.

 

Ezra Green House 4 lr.jpg
79 Silver Street


The house originally had a colonial roof which was replace by this mansard roof. Later owners changed the roof back to the original colonial style.

 

Ezra Green house 2.jpg
79 Silver Street with a colonial roof

This is the earliest house in this area, built circa 1780 by Dr. Ezra Green, who bought the lot from Parson Jeremy Belknap who lived next door until 1787. In 1775 Dr. Green joined the New Hampshire Regiment in Charlestown, Massachusetts, Returning to Dover he switched from doctoring to tavern keeper and retailer, built this house and proprietor of the largest and most profitable store in Dover. He lived here until 1847 and raised 13 children.
    From the 1980 Heritage Walk Tour Booklet.

 

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.