skip to main navigation
skip to main content

Dover Library Home

Dover Public Library Logo

QuickButton.gif

50 Atkinson Street

50 Atkinson St.jpg

The lot here sold in 1876 for $600; in 1888 the land and buildings were purchased for $4200 by Freeman N. Davis (1850-1934). In the Dover city directories of his era, Davis is variously referred to as a real estate dealer, “collector” and a janitor, and according to local hearsay, was regarded as quite a character. Davis owned rental properties all over town, but this was his home. At the time of his death in 1934 he was one of Dover’s largest taxpayers: his holdings valued at over $93,000. Davis owned an additional $82,000 in stocks and bonds, all of which were left to his widow, Nina Jane. When Mrs. Davis died in 1941, this house was left to the City of Dover and a large portion of her estate was responsible for funding the construction of the Davis Vocational School on Main Street.
    From the 1991 Heritage Walking Tour Booklet

 

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.