skip to main navigation
skip to main content

Dover Library Home

Dover Public Library Logo

QuickButton.gif

46 Atkinson Street

46 Atkinson St e.jpg

 In 1846, William Edgerly purchased this lot from Tredick and Wadleigh. By 1854 this home was built and the property sold to William Johnson. In 1859, jeweler Charles Bacon bought the house for $2100. Bacon had opened his store at 388 Central Avenue in 1857 and advertised “the most attractive establishment of this kind in Dover…engraving neatly executed… intricate jobs performed satisfactorily in a thoroughly workmanlike manner at exceedingly moderate prices.” Bacon sold this house in 1888 to Elisha Rhodes Brown and there have been only three owners since that time.
    From the 1991 Heritage Walking Tour Booklet

 

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.