skip to main navigation
skip to main content

Dover Library Home

Dover Public Library Logo

QuickButton.gif

Washington Street Free Will Baptists

    Freewill Baptist 3.jpg

Washington Street Baptist Church

 

Central Ave Baptist 3.jpg

  Central Avenue Baptist Church, built in 1829
     

Washington Street Free Will Baptist Church was organized in 1840 and met in the building on Washington Street called the Odd Fellows Building. In 1868, they built a new brick church on the corner of Washington and Fayette Streets. An 1882 fire gutted the structure and the present church was rebuilt in 1883. In 1918, the Washington Street Free Will Baptist Church joined with the Central Avenue Baptist Church to form one congregation called the Dover Baptist Church.

Postcards donated by Robert Marston

 

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.