skip to main navigation
skip to main content

Dover Library Home

Dover Public Library Logo

QuickButton.gif

St. Joseph's Church

St. Joseph.jpg

St. Joseph 2.jpg


150 Central Avenue

In 1807, Friend Stephen Hanson (1774-1847) took down two smaller homes on this site to build one large one. He and his wife Lydia (1784-1849) lived there until their deaths. In 1851, George P. Folson (1813-1882), an oil and paint dealer, lived here, and 20 years later J.B. Folsom (1815-1889) occupied the house and owned an oilcloth factory on adjacent Locust Street. In 1876, the property came into the hands of Thaddeus P. Cressey, a millinary shop owner, and his family until the 1930s. Mrs. Eva Cressey Hale lived there until 1937, and Nellie Howard until 1943. The owners at that time were the Coogan/Carberrys next door and this family donated the land for a new Catholic church for Dover’s southside. Construction began in May, 1946, and St. Joseph’s Church , with a seating capacity of 650, was formally dedicated on October 12, 1948.
    From the 1987 Heritage Walking tour booklet

 

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.