skip to main navigation
skip to main content

Dover Library Home

Dover Public Library Logo

QuickButton.gif

St. Charles Church

St Charles Church.jpg



St. Charles Church on Third Street.
The small building to the right is the original St. Charles School.

The vacant area beyond St. Mary's Church was the site of the original St. Charles Roman Catholic Church and School. As French-Canadians arrived in Dover during the 1880's, they formed a separate parish from the "Irish Church". In 1896, a church was built here for $12,000. The rectory was located where the Dover Senior Center is now. In 1901, a two story school was built adjacent to the church and in 1914 a larger school, costing $20,000 and housing 40 pupils was built. Both of these structures were eventually destroyed by fires, the Church on January 24, 1932 (only three weeks after the Morrill Block Fire), and the school in 1968. In 1933, the new St. Charles Church was built on Central Avenue and continues there today.
    From the 1984 Heritage Walking Tour Booklet

 

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.