skip to main navigation
skip to main content

Dover Library Home

Dover Public Library Logo

QuickButton.gif

First Church of Christ Scientist

Christian Science Church 6.jpg

 

Christian Science Church.jpg

 


Although they had been meeting in private homes since 1899, the first regular meetings of the First Church of Christ Scientist were held in 1902 in a room in the Union Block ( now the Elks Building on Washington Street. In 1913 they acquired the old Brown-Shackley estate at 604 Central Avenue, their present quarters. The Christian Science Church is a branch of the “Mother” church in Boston, established by Mrs. Mary Baker Eddy in 1879. As is their custom, the church operates a public Reading Room, located at 105 Washington Street.
        From “Dover, New Hampshire 350th Anniversary Commemorative Book 1623-1973”, 1973

 

Christian Science Church 3.jpg

 

Christian Science Church 7.jpg

 

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.