skip to main navigation
skip to main content

Dover Library Home

Dover Public Library Logo


Woodman Institute

Woodman Institute 4.jpg

Woodman House on the left, Damm garrison in the center John P. Hale house on the right.

When she died in January 1915, Annie E. Woodman created a trust with the sum of $100,000 “for the establishment …of an institution for the promotion of education in science and art and the increase and dissemination of general and especially historical knowledge.”  The trustees of the estate acquired the Woodman House and the adjoining Hale House, which came on the market that same year. The renovation of the interior was directed by local architect J. Edward Richardson and the Institute opened in August, 1916. The Woodman House serves as the natural history section of the Institute, with collections of minerals, fossils, extinct animal species, and Indian artifacts.  The Hale House contains most of the items relating to Dover history, including garrison artifacts, military articles and ship models. The Damm Garrison, the oldest house in Dover, and the only surviving garrison of 16 built in this area, was moved to the Woodman Institute Museum in 1915 by four men using rollers, and one horse pulling. An 800 artifact collection if cooking utensils, farm tools, and colonial furniture can be seen inside the Garrison.

Woodman Institute 3.jpg
The Damm Garrison is sheltered by this Colonnade

Woodman House4.jpg

The Woodman House


This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.