skip to main navigation
skip to main content

Dover Library Home

Dover Public Library Logo

QuickButton.gif

Strafford Bank

Strafford Bank Central Ave.jpg



located on Central Avenue

In 1803, the N.H. Strafford Bank opened  in a two-story wooden building on Central Street near Angle. The following year, the entire building was moved onto Angle Street where it still stands today. In 1821, the bank changed its name to The Strafford Bank and in 1847 moved with the Savings Bank for the County of Strafford (inc. 1823 at Tuttle Square) to a three-story brick building on Washington Street. In 1895, the two banks (now known as the Strafford National Bank and the Strafford Savings Bank) moved into their new bank building adjacent to their former headquarters. the granite block on the corner of Washington and Central, built for $100,000 and designed by local architect A.T. Ramsdell, was called a "fortress of finance".

 

Strafford Banks building.jpg



In 1963, the Strafford Banks relocated once again to 353 Central Avenue; that building, now the home of the Strafford National Bank, was expanded in 1969 and 1973. In 1984, the Strafford Savings Bank, now called the Southeast Bank for Savings, moved to its own new brick structure on Washington Street across from the post office.
    From the 1985 Heritage Walking Tour booklet

 

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.