skip to main navigation
skip to main content

Dover Library Home

Dover Public Library Logo

QuickButton.gif

Post Office

Post Office 2.jpg


The site of the Dover Post Office has been the "home of the mail" since 1909, its longest tenure in any one location in this city: in its first 114 years of existence in Dover, the post office moved eight times. The first postmaster, Ezra Green, operated out of a home on Silver in 1796. Then the post office moved to a Tuttle Square location, then to Tufts' drug store at Central Square, to the Cochecho Block, then to Marston's Block, the Dover Bank building, the Walker Block, and to the corner of Washington and Walnut Streets.

 

Post Office.jpg



Some of the house on the site of the present building were moved to Belknap Street when construction began in 1909. The current structure was expanded and renovated in 1962-63 and the entrance changed from Washington Street to Green Street in 1979.
    From the 1985 Heritage Walking Tour booklet

 

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.