skip to main navigation
skip to main content

Dover Library Home

Dover Public Library Logo

QuickButton.gif

Hayes Hospital

Hayes Hospital.jpg

45-47 Summer Street

When Mrs. C.L. Hayes died in 1897 she willed her home here on Summer Street and about $40,000 to start a hospital. This was the first hospital in Dover and it continued operation until the 1930's. Two doctors who assisted the hospital lived nearby; Dr. Morgan across the street at No. 44 and Dr. Tolman who lived two doors down at No. 37.
    From the 1980 Heritage Walk Tour Booklet.

 

This historical essay is provided free to all readers as an educational service. It may not be reproduced on any website, list, bulletin board, or in print without the permission of the Dover Public Library. Links to the Dover Public Library homepage or a specific article's URL are permissible.